June-January Making Roundup

It’s been a while since I posted – summer and fall were busy times for me once the kids were out of virtual school, and I just … let a lot of things go. Because sometimes you just have to cut out all the extras and concentrate on the things you need to get done. But here are the things that I did make in the last seven months of the year.

June 27, 2021 – I made this entire outfit! It’s the first pair of pants that I’ve ever made and they turned out great – fit is good, fabric is a good match to the pattern, etc. I need to shorten the waist elastic but it’s a minor problem.

The pants are the 100 Acts of Sewing Pants No 1 which are a basic pair of elastic pants. My only issue is that they don’t have pockets, but otherwise the pants are fabulous and comfortable and I will get a lot of wear out of them

The shirt is New Look 6216 and I wear the top size, which is fine, and the shirt fits well and is comfortable. I think I slightly prefer my self-drafted one, but between that one and this one I have some great summer t-shirt patterns.

I’m also much happier here because I finally got a haircut. I was really unhappy with my hair after many months of COVID quarantine.

July 4, 2021 – I started going to a crafting group and have been inspired to start crocheting again, starting with this granny square bag, which I will eventually probably use to take projects to crafting group. Why not! It’s made of yarn left over from other projects, because I’m trying to work through my stash of yarn, because so much of it is old and hasn’t been used for anything.

Juy 24, 2021 – This is me attempting another tunic pattern, because I can’t seem to stop trying them. It is in a cotton print that makes me call this the Beach Blanket Shirt. The pattern is Butterick B5226 with a deep v-neck and cut-on sleeves. I bought both fabric and pattern more than 10 years ago and have no idea if I originally meant them to be used together. Probably not. I don’t think this fits that well, and the pattern is really so far outside my comfort zone I don’t think I will ever wear it. Still trying to figure out what I should make that works!

August 11, 2021 – More crochet from my group! Except I actually worked on this outside of the crafting group, which is not something I’ve done in a while. This bear was made up of scrap yarn and is a gift for my daughter. There’s brown alpaca wool, blue alpaca wool, and a variegated brown/blue for the rest of the body from … somewhere. My daughter loves this bear! It’s stuffed with scraps from sewing and has a cute little tail.

August 19, 2021 – More crochet work – I tried to make a floppy sun hat for me, but it ended up being too small, and I didn’t really have enough yarn (more scrap-busting) to make a larger size. Ergo, hat for children! I finished it just in time for our vacation to the beach this summer. It was made from some very nice organic natural yarn.

August 29, 2021 – Made this because I was so tired of summer and looking forward to fall! It’s a pumpkin gnome, which sat on one of our shelves and observed us from September through November. He was a fun little gnome to make, and I think I only spent a week and a half on him. I didn’t know it then, but that would be the last thing I made for a while as school started up and I really lost time to do anything but the basics.

In November I was wishing for a creative outlet after two months of lots of work and very little play, so I took a class on collage at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts and spent two whole days doing nothing but art! It was great. It was the sort of palate cleanser I really needed to remember that I really do like making art. I decided I would start taking a class every month from then on, and promptly signed up for a two-month class in January and February.

Anywho, this is what I came up with in collage class. Everyone else did really less colorful stuff, and a lot more abstract, but I stick to what I know and love, which is color and shape and flowers. I used old art in them, and magazines, and the kids’ art as well.

December 1, 2021 – This is the pair of pants I was working on when I kind of quit sewing for several months. It’s the same pants that I made before from 100 Acts of Sewing, but here’s me trying to insert pockets. The pockets and my life stressed me out so much that I didn’t attempt them for months. Eventually I did, but it took me until January to actually finish.

This is, again, the 100 Acts of Sewing pants, made with an elastic waist (pattern calls for a tie) and on me, a slightly cropped length. I made them in a soft and drapey canvas with a cool pattern. I think the fabric is a good weight for pants but it’s a little too heavy for this particular pattern because of the waist treatment. Needs something sturdier. This will remain I think a cotton and linen pants pattern.

This pattern fits me well but has drawbacks. I wish the waist were wider and sturdier and I wish there was a real pattern for the pockets. I will probably make it again though with a couple of alterations. Still, the rise and size are good comparisons for other pants I might be interested in making.

And that’s it for June through January. I think the pants have re-interested me in making clothes, but I’m currently making a quilt and it’s hard to do two things at once!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.