Beginning last year, I agreed with myself that I would read books representing more diverse points of view. I’ve posted about the FemmeFanTale readathon I’m going to do and I’m also going to see how much I can get read for one more challenge.
Reading Women Challenge 2019
This will be the more difficult of the two challenges for me, because I will have to read books that are not sci-fi or fantasy. THE HORROR. (Yes I really love that genre.) But that’s okay. It’s still reading.
My Plan So Far
Oh look, I don’t have one! My plan is, at this point, to read everything for the other challenge, count up things I’m already reading, and then see what’s left.
- Children’s book Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History by Vashti Harrison. Already reading this with my daughter.
- Historical fiction – Uneasy Lies the Crown by Tasha Alexander, the latest Lady Emily mystery (read this, done)
- Romance/love story – These are basically reading candy for me so let’s just call it done
Many of these categories give me pause, but fortunately the challenge hosts and others are posting ideas and inspiration, so I’ve come up with a few ideas.
- Mystery by WOC – Murder with Fried Chicken and Waffles by A.L. Herbert. The pattern will Be Read-Cook-Read-Cook (yum)
- The play will likely be from their beginners playwright guide
- YA by WOC/book from a series – I’m thinking Adaptation by Malinda Lo (pro tip she’s cofounder of Diversity in YA)
There you go. Not much yet but I’m confident I’ll work it out.